Friday, May 23, 2014

Becoming.

About a year ago I entered “official adulthood”.
“Corporate America”.
The world of “nine-to-five”.


Whatever you want to call it.


Turns out, it totally womps.


Okay, okay. So that’s a bit of an exaggeration for drama and effect, but it’s hard to believe that THIS is what I was aspiring to for all those years: early mornings, business casual, traffic, perfecting my blank and empty “computer stare”, and long, quiet afternoons (the 3 o’clock hour seems to drag on for waaay more than 60 minutes).


Throw in the occasional meeting and unruly caller, some more traffic, a usually uneventful and sometimes lonely evening, off to bed early, and then BAM. All of a sudden the alarm is going off again and it’s a “here we go again…” kind of moment. You know the drill. You live it every day too.


So I can’t help but think, one year and now many paychecks (okay, so that part of a full-time job ain’t half bad...) into “real adulthood” and potentially the rest of my life…


Is THIS what life is all about??
For how long?!
How do I get out??!


Now. Contrary to what the previous paragraphs may suggest, I do not actually intend this blog to be an outlet for frustration or a place for me to vent and complain. I truly am grateful to have a job and that paycheck and a college degree in hand. And, I think, at some point, my job will also provide me with a healthy amount of satisfaction and opportunities to learn.


Where was I? Oh yeah, the purpose of the blog. What I do hope is that this blog will become a way for me to express the concerns and questions and hopefully propose solutions to the apprehensions and plain old “blah” feelings that seem to be a common thread among people in a situation similar to myself (recent college grad. mormon. single. but a really good person!! <aggravated>). And those questions and apprehensions are:


Where do we find JOY and SATISFACTION in life?
What is HAPPINESS?
How do we discover what we LOVE?
How do we PROGRESS and LEARN?
What kind of PURPOSE should we be striving to fulfill right now?
What DEFINES us?
What and who are we BECOMING?


Tack on “while still unmarried and therefore drifting, lost and in what most people call a perpetual ‘waiting game’ to be truly happy and fulfilled” to the end of each of those questions, and I think we’ve really nailed the head on the major concerns of my demographic.


No, this isn’t a dating blog. Neither is it “let’s commiserate together on being a single Mormon in his/her mid-to-late twenties or even thirties”.

Rather, I hope that this blog will focus on discovering how to become, progress, learn and love in this stage and in any and all stages of life. Yes, indeed.

No comments: